Friday, November 30, 2007

DRIVING STEREOLAB (2007)


COVER DESIGN IS BY ME:-) just a little tribute.
YOU WANNA SUPER MOTORIK RIDE?
ARTIST`````````````STEREOLAB
ALBUM`````````````DRIVING STEREOLAB

GENRE`````````````INDIE PROG-KRAUTROCK
YEAR```````````````2007
COMPILATION BY VALENTIN

WHY?

This band is probably my first aware encounter with the indie post rock fever of the 1990's. I used to listen Stereolab insanely from 1998 till late 2002 - collected all their albums, EP's, singles and live performances and could consider myself being a fan (I hate that word). Many people find them irritating but also - many find them to be brilliant . I find them to be imortant for personal reasons - their "catchiness" and at the same time "alternativness" and "indieness" freed my musical taste (opened my eyes to say it in a kitchy way:) They present a positive, most original underground look on our naive world.

Few days ago I found my long lost Stereolab discography CD and added some missing albums (from 2002 - 2007). Now I present you my personal selection which only I could call "Best of" or "Stereolab's greatest". This selection spans their entire career, except for their first 2 albums which I didnt include because of poor production.

For people who dont know who they are - read the "BASIC BIOGRAPHY" txt below. Enjoy this fine, most influental super-cute and long lasting, seriously independent band.

BASIC BIOGRAPHY
Called "one of the most fiercely independent and original groups of the Nineties", Stereolab were one of the first bands to be termed "post rock". Their primary musical influence is 1970s krautrock, which they combine with lounge, 1960s pop, and experimental music. They are noted for their heavy use of vintage electronic keyboards, and their sound often overlays a repetitive "motorik" beat with female vocals sung in English or French. Stereolab often incorporate socio-political themes into their lyrics. Some critics say the group's lyrics carry a strong MarxistSurrealist and Situationist cultural and political movements. However, Gane is skeptical of labels such as "Marxist pop", and defends the band against accusations of "sloganeering".

message, and Gane and Sadier admit to being influenced by the

Although many of the band's albums have been underground hits, they have not found larger commercial success. The band were released from their recording contract with Warner Music when Warner's imprint Elektra Records folded. The release was reportedly due to poor record sales, and since then Stereolab's self-owned label, Duophonic Records, has signed a distribution deal with Too Pure. Duophonic holds the copyrights to the band's recordings, and on the label the band have released many limited-edition records.

DOWNLOAD STEREOLAB HERE

4 comments:

Xoff said...

Awesome post, I don't know how I found it but stereolab was one of my favorite French-Canadian. You did a brilliant job in your bio of them as well. It would be awesome if you could upload the full albums to rashare or zshare.

Regards,

Passer by

Xoff said...

Awesome post, I don't know how I found it but stereolab was one of my favorite French-Canadian. You did a brilliant job in your bio of them as well. It would be awesome if you could upload the full albums to rashare or zshare.

Regards,

Passer by

Bleeding Panda said...

tnx for commenting:)

Which album/s do you need? i dont have that much time to upload their entire discography because I would have to include every side project, rare track, official album and live performance they ever recorded (and thats about 2GB). So select some albums and I'll upload them:)

genericPlacebo said...

Thanks !
& agreed about the first two, out of all I had over the years
Great best of and one i had never heard before

great resource you got going

Related Posts with Thumbnails